Error code: “2” and “5” are FINAL FANTASY VII errors that occur when you try to launch the game. These errors are caused by the antivirus installed on your computer.
As you probably know, Steam encrypts all software and game files on their platform to prevent pirate use. Therefore, some antivirus programs (mostly Comodo and McAfee) mark these encrypted files as “suspicious”, and sometimes may delete those files or put them into quarantine. When it happens, you’ll get Code 2 and 5 errors.
Fix 1: Disable real-time protection of Windows defender
If no external antivirus softwares are installed.
- Close FINAL FANTASY VII launcher.
- Left-click on Windows Start icon.
- Type “Windows Security” in the search box and open it.
- Select “Virus & threat protection” tab from the left menu.
- Click on the “Manage settings” button.
- Disable “Real-time protection“.
- Close Windows Security window.
- Go back to your Steam library.
- Select FINAL FANTASY VII.
- Verify the integrity of files (It will restore deleted files).
- Launch the game.
Fix 2: Delete Comodo and McAfee
If you have installed Comodo or McAfee.
I have been told that Comodo and McAfee are conflict with FINAL FANTASY VII. Simply disabling them won’t fix these errors so you need to completely delete them from your PC.
If you don’t know how to do it, here are the instructions:
To delete Comodo: https://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-COMODO-Antivirus
To delete McAfee: https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-uninstall-mcafee-4570965
You will now be able to launch the game without Code 2 and 5 errors 🙂