Failure Initializing Input Devices error appears in Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, when you try to start it. Fallout players encounter this because it’s quite an old game, therefore, there are compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows.
In order to fix this error, please follow the steps below:
Fix 1: Run falloutwHR.exe in compatibility mode
- Go to Steam and click on Library.
- Type “Fallout” in Steam’s search area.
- Right-click on the game and open Properties.
- Switch to “Local Files” tab (left menu) and click “Browse Local Files” to go Fallout installation folder.
- You’ll see there is a file named “falloutwHR.exe“. Right-click on it and go to its Properties.
- Switch to “Compatibility” tab in Properties window.
- Enable Compatibility mode for it and Select “Windows XP” as operating system.
- Click Apply.
- Restart Steam.